7 Tricks to motivate yourself through any workout!
We all know how hard it can be to stay motivated, no matter the workout or sport. Here are some tricks/tips on how I stay motived to get through just about any workout.
1. Think about how you will feel post workout: This is the main trick I deploy as soon as I feel the workout slump coming on. To muster through your workout it helps to think about how great you will feel after your workout. You will internally/externally feel better because you accomplished something that, for just a moment, you thought was to big to accomplish. Plus, working out has been proven to have awesome health benefits and mood boosting effects because.......SCIENCE.
2. Compartmentalize: If envisioning my post-workout high fails, then I try and compartmentalize the dreaded workout I am about to do. I think something similar to this "If I run 2 sets I am 2 closer to finishing my entire workout". As a matter of fact, I have a shirt that says "The faster you run, the faster you're done!" that I like to wear when I feel crappy. Essentially, what I do is compartmentalize it all: the sets/reps, the pain, the warmup, the cool down. It helps to breakdown the entire process like a equation and before you know it, it will be over.
3. Remember why you are working out: Now, if compartmentalization and post-workout day dreams both fail then you need to think about the whole reason you are working out to begin with. You didn't start working out with that goal in mind just to give up, did you? NO! You didn't. So, just breath and remember why your doing it in the first place.
4. Drink Water: This is an easy motivator! Drink water, water will boost your mood like no energy drink ever could. Often times when you are feeling lethargic, exhausted and parched, it is because your body wants water. Drink a cup right when you wake up and consistently throughout the day. Not only will it help you perform better but you will feel more energized.
5. Print out your workouts/Write them down: For some to-do lists act as a factor of accountability and motivation. So in a similar vain have a workout to-do list. Print out your workouts and take them along with you. You will be quite satisfied as you tick off each rep you do. An alternative is to write your workouts down as you do them. For instance, I keep a track journal (which I need to do better at writing in) and it's so handy to be able to look and reflect upon my workouts throughout the season to map out my progress.
6. Invite a friend: For some reason most people workout more efficiently while doing it with another person. When you invite a friend to workout, naturally you will want to step it up and the both of you will be more likely to hold each other accountable. Also, you actually see improvements in your workouts that way. P.S. if you have no friends, try joining a fitness group or a workout class.
7. Listen to your favorite music: And last but not least, crank up that music. Music is a hell of a drug, and by drug I mean mood stimulator. Your favorite music can get you through even the toughest of workouts. Therefore, you should take the time and put together a workout playlist that you love. There's no limit to what a little bit of Beyonce can do for your last set of squats :)
I hope these tricks and tips help you out on your next motivation-less workout.
Tell me, What trick do you use for motivation??